As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
To make one of your own, you’ll need:
-the bottom half of a t-shirt
-chunky wooden beads (we used about fifteen)
-needle and thread
1. Cut thin strips of jersey ‘tubes’ using the bottom half of a thriftstore-bound t-shirt. Repeat until you have about twelve jersey ‘tubes.’
2. Trim each tube at one side seam to make long, thin strips of jersey.
3. Thread one chunky bead onto each of your jersey strips. Leave four jersey strips aside.
4. Braid three of the leftover strips of jersey together.
5. Using a scrap piece of jersey, find all of the middle seams (one seam was trimmed off- the other remains intact). Tie the seams together. Include the ‘top’ of the braided piece in the bunch so it gets tied in as well.
6. On the other side of the necklace, gather all of the loose ends as well as the other end of the braid. Sew together. Run the needle and thread back and forth a few times to secure. Tie off thread.
7. Cut your final strip of jersey in half (cut the seam off so each piece looks clean). Use one half to wrap the messy part where the braid meets the jersey strips until it looks clean. Repeat on the other side. Tuck the loose ends back into the wrapping (use a toothpick to make sure the end is secure and fully covered).
8. Adjust the placement of your beads until there are some on each side and some across the bottom of the necklace.
9. DONE! Pair with a t-shirt and white capri’s (or with a sundress!) and you have the perfect summer accessory for backyard parties, summer weddings, patio dinners, beach vacations as well as everyday cuteness. 🙂
ps- I couldn’t help but include this awesome outtake. I was dancing around and Adam caught it on camera. Fabulous, right? Hahahaha!
ppss- This modeling-your-stuff is for the birds. Everything just feels so awkward. I think this is why I mostly make stuff for my kids. How do you guys always look so darn cute in all of your pictures? If you have tips for me, send ’em along!!!
Mama Jill says
Ooooh shut it. You look stinkin uh-dorable. 🙂 I feel the same way about modeling my own stuff…. ugh….. I always feel weird! But you look great!
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage says
Love it!! And I love that picture of you dancing at the end! 🙂 Y'all are the best!!
Morven's Handmades says
Love it, looks fantastic!!
Thanks for sharing, will have to try it out real soon.
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! That is so stinkin' cute! Great idea! Thanks!
I love that last picture! Awesome. You are a beautiful model. But yes…it feels terribly awkward. The more you do it the easier it gets. Guess you'll just have to make more stuff for you! 🙂
I LOVE this necklace. I am seriously going to make one this summer. I even like your version better than the antro one.
Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun says
linked this to my facebook page! love it!
Melissa Lewis says
Ok…seriously now. That is just too cool! I HAVE GOT to do that! Thank you for sharing this. Loving the "color" series:)
" me " says
Patty Ann says
Love it so much!! You are amazingly creative!
Ok, 2 things…
1) I love the necklace and will be adding it to my craft to-do list for the summer.
2) I'm a little sad because I've been editing a new blog button that happens to be rainbow chevron. I guess great minds think alike and I'll be going in a different direction. 🙂
Kalleen at Second Street says
You may feel awkward but you look amazing. Thanks for another fun project.
Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [14 May 02:15am GMT]. Thanks, Maria
My mom and I loved these also but they are sooo pricey! I will deffinately be making this for her for mothers day (: THANKS!
No kidding! Send over a picture if you make one! 🙂
gabriella baldelli says
bellissima copiata è veramente bella grazie