homemade bath paint recipe

make your own bath paint by kojodesignsbath paint recipeAs school comes to a close and summer begins this mama is looking forward to a summer of saying yes to all sorts of things that are usually too much to handle on a school night: sleeping in forts, staying up late, evenings of  total house destruction  crafting, eating watermelon shirtless in the yard…and loooong baths complete with bath paints!

DIY bath paintBath painting is seriously one of my girls favorite activities and making your own bath paints is both cost effective and super easy!

make your own bath paintHomemade Bath Paint

Bath paint
1/4 cup shampoo/ or hand soap/ or body wash (use whatever soapy thing you have lying around, great use for shampoo you didn’t like, or the end of the body wash)
1/4 cup corn starch
1-2 TBS water
3-4 drops food coloring

Combine cornstarch, shampoo, and food coloring. Add water 1/2 a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is thick enough to stick to the paint brush without much dripping, but thin enough to paint a line. If it gets too runny, add more cornstarch, too thick, add more water.

make your own bath paintmake your own bath paintLet kids paint the walls, the bath and themselves for hours!

bath paint recipeStore in an airtight container in a cool place. This recipe makes one baby-food size jar of paint.

Comments

Oh this is great! We are BIG bath paint fans in our house! Thanks for the recipe. I bet you’re loving the turn to good weather finally!

Rachel, not that we’ve found… we’ve tried it in a couple different types of tub (more porcelain/glass and plastic) and in both cases, a little rinse washes it right down. I will say, in the old house, we had ‘soft’ tile (travertine) and wouldn’t let the kids use the paints on there…

This is such a cute idea! I can’t wait to try it with my boys. Thanks so much for linking up with Moonlight & Mason Jars, I chose you as my favorite post this week! Come by and grab our “featured” button if you’d like. Hope you’ll link up again!

Congrats! We have featured this project on the Moonlight & Mason Jars link party this week. Thanks for linking up!

Please grab our featured button when you get a chance.

Love,

Hilary @ Be Sweet Blog
    Thuy @ My Paper Pinwheel
    Heather @ Mama Dish
    Taylor @ Taylor Made
    Jennifer @ The Newlywed Pilgrimage

• says

I love this… Thanks so much for letting me make this for my grandson… I’m on the budget not him… I feel like I have given him something to remember that didn’t have to go under to make or get this for him… He loves it <3 <3 <3 Thanks for the free info on it too… much help and fun…. thanks is not enough :)

Jess, this is Jord’s recipe, but we use it around here too and the Smooches LOVE it. Like, beg to bath paint every night- haha. :)

4. Ashley says

If your concerned about the food coloring staining you can buy dye made for soap making at Michaels or any craft store. Thanks for the recipe my kids will love this!

5. Jodi says

We made this and I was running around the house I was so excited! We were buying the $5 avon kind and this was the exact same! Washed off the kids great! FYI – a little splashed on the grout in the kitchen and it did take awhile to get it off completely.

Jodi, we’ve had that problem too (in our last house), but thanks for the heads up. And so glad you guys loved it! :)

This is a great idea! I’m going to do this as a fundraiser for our church youth groups…get the kids to make and sell the bath paints!! I work with the kids and am a member of The Salvation Army in Annapolis, MD!!

As a 22 year veteran of the Bathtub refinishing Industry. I would not be worried about the food coloring staining. However, before you leave your kids in the bathtub fro extended periods of time please know porcelain tubs before 1984 contain lead. If the tub is worn lead will leach into the bathwater. Professional refinishing will fix the issue but just wanted to make that point. Lead test kits are available at lowes, home depot, invest in one and test your tub!

8. Jennifer says

wE HAVE JUST FINISHED THIS ACTIVITY! wHAT FUN IS ALL I CAN SAY EVEN THOUGH IT DIDN’T JUST STAY IN THE TUB, SHE GOT THE WALL, DOOR AND FLOOR PARTIALLY COVERED AND IT ALL CLEANED UP IN SECONDS!!!! i’LL BE SHARING THIS ONE FOR ALL MY KIDDO FRIENDS

1. […] any desperate mother would do: I turned to Pinterest. In no time at all I had a decent-sounding recipe for bath paint. Just body wash, corn starch, water and food coloring. Easy peasy. And quite a bit cheaper than the […]