coconut chocolate mousse (quite possibly the world’s best dessert)

coconut chocolate mousse- the world's best dessertThere are chocolate people in the world (lots of them). And there are coconut people (a slightly smaller, but still passionate, contingent).

how to make coconut chocolate mousseBut then, there are coconut chocolate people. And, friends, if you are a Chocolate Coconut Lover (like me, and Jordan, and our sister-in-law Tricia, and our dad), prepare to be a.mazed by this coconut chocolate mousse.

coconut chocolate mousseOh. my. gracious.

coconut chocolate mousse recipeSeriously, y’all, I can’t believe how good this stuff is. Like I was licking the bowl… and I’d like to make more right now. And I think it might be on the menu at every single party I ever throw for the rest of time. And I’m going to make it for my Valentine.

cococnut chocolate mousse recipeI wish I were exaggerating, but nope.

We adapted this recipe for coconut chocolate mousse- I think it’s probably healthier without any sweetener, but was more dessert-ish when we added the powdered sugar.

INGREDIENTS

1 can of coconut milk (not lite)*

5 tablespoons of cocoa powder

2 tablespoons of powdered sugar

*I’ve made this twice now, with two different kinds of coconut milk, and one did not turn out as well as the other. So if you make it and it seems like it could be better, perhaps try another brand of coconut milk.

DIRECTIONS

how to make coconut chocolate mousseOpen the can of coconut milk, pour into a bowl and let sit out in the fridge overnight (it helps the coconut milk thicken up).

Add the cocoa and the powdered sugar to the coconut milk.

Pour the mixture into a metal bowl (note- I don’t know if the metal bowl made a difference, it just worked well for us, so I’m giving you all of the info I have to help you replicate this process). With a mixer, whip the mixture until fluffy. It takes a couple of minutes- maybe even longer- just keep whipping on the highest speed until it starts fluffing up.

Add the mousse to a frosting bag with a big tip.

Pipe into sprinkle rimmed shot glass.

how to make chocolate coconut mousseServe. Delight your guests (and yourself) with the creamy, coconut-y, cocoa-y goodness. I am not kidding when I say I have coconut milk in the fridge right now just waiting to be made into Valentines Day coconut chocolate mousse. So yummy, y’all.

ps- I didn’t know it until after we tried this, but I coconut chocolate mousse appears to be quite the pinterest sensation. Have any of you tried this?
kojodesigns find us here

blog FB buttons2-14 blog twitter buttons22-15 blog instagram buttons2-15 blog pinterest buttons2-15

Comments

1. Chrissy Carpenter says

Autumn and I tried this, and it turned out awful! It didn’t set up at all, and I didn’t think it tasted very good. We even tried putting it in the freezer to see if that would help. I didn’t buy the organic coconut milk as the original pinterest post suggested – but I’m not sure I’d try this again.

Yeah, Chrissy, one of my batches didn’t turn out either. For that one (that didn’t work), I used Thai Kitchen coconut milk, but I’m not certain when I bought it. For the glorious, delicious yummy batch (when Jord was here), we used Coconut Milk from Sprouts that I bought that week. And ohmygoodness.
      I need to try it again with that kind. :)

• http://jillyinspired.blogspot.com/ says

Hi, I’ve posted a similar recipe on my blog using Thai Coconut Milk. I found that the trick is to use just the thick cream on top of the can. If you use both the cream the watery liquid, it won’t work. Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Open the can the next day and carefully lift the thick cream out. Leave the water behind. Proceed with the recipe. Hope that helps.

• RICHARd says

A Thai recipe site, which I now cannot find, said to use a can of Coconut Cream, rather than coconut milk. (With even coconut milk I find it varies from slightly better than awful coconut water to heavenly.)

2. Katie says

Oh how could you do this to me???? I’m kidding – what a good recipe idea. Do you know I hated coconut until two years ago? Now I cannot get enough. This looks lovely!

Who hates coconut? Glad you’ve seen the light. And, seriously, it’s amazing. The batch that worked best was with Sprouts brand coconut milk. Glory. :)

3. liz c says

cam had to run and get milk so i had him pick up c milk at wf. i am hoping letting it set up all day will be good enough… bc I NEED this tonight!!!! i really want it now, but i would prob have to drink it :)

4. Jessica says

If you have access to a asain market look for a can of coconut cream (NOT cream of coconut). It’s fabulous. It’s pure cream and makes incredible mousse!

Oh JEssica, that information might be dangerous for me. We have several great Asian Markets in Denver… I will definitely check next time!

5. Victoria says

I just made this. It didn’t get thick – I mean, it’s thick, but runny enough that I can’t pipe it. My solution? Add peanut butter!!

Victoria- that happened to me on one of my batches too! The kind Jilly (of Jilly inspired) but left a note to only use the thick cream and leave all of the water behind. I also found that one kind of coconut milk (the Sprouts brand) works consistently, so perhaps that’ll help. :) Good luck!
      And how did the PB addition taste? It sounds really good… very summer-y. :)

• Victoria says

The PB was amazing. I would add it as a regular. Reminded me of the mocha coconut frappucino Starbucks does, but the nuttiness really complimented the coconut.

6. Justjane says

I used Thai organic milk. I whipped for 10 minutes to no avail. It was only slightly thickened. So I added 1/2 tsp. of Guar gum and it set nicely! Yum!!!

This is a great recipe! I made it the other day with Stevia and it worked well. So good! I did a review of the recipe on my blog (if I could, I would give it 5 stars) and referred the readers to your site. (I’m new to the whole blog thing) I hope you don’t mind. God Bless you!

Abby- laughing- that is important. :) Adam got them for Christmas (they were part of the Neiman Marcus for Target line…). I bet you can find a set on ebay! :)

8. Karen says

OK…I’m afraid to say this but…..I don’t like coconut!!! but I love chocolate mousse…what kind of milk can I use instead??? I thought about sweetened condensed milk but that would make it toooooooo sweet!
    Any suggestions?

Hmmmm, Karen, no idea! Maybe almond milk, but you might have a problem with it setting up. Half and half would work I’m sure. :)
      And I think there are tons of people who don’t like coconut- we just aren’t some of them- haha! :)

Wow, these little mousses look absolutely adorable and delicious. I love that you used coconut milk; it’s such a magical ingredient (: So happy I stumbled upon your blog. Bookmarking this recipe! Have a great day!

10. Alice says

I make this a lot using melted dark chocolate & coconut milk, BUT….the trick to a fluffy mousse that “sets” (even if you use cocoa) is to place your unopened can in the fridge at least overnight. Let the coconut milk SOLIDS float to the upper part of the can. Take out of fridge, turn can upside down, open can and strain off the liquid (use it in a smoothie) The solids that are left is what you use to “whip”. I use this for my VEGAN Whipped Cream as well, adding a touch of vanilla. (I’m not big on sweets overall, but I imagine you could at a touch of sweetener like agave) I mix the coconut milk solids with my melted chocolate and whip it up, refrigerate several hours or overnight. Yum! I am a bit of a dark-chocoholic so the other night when I made this I used some orange rind infused chocolate. I have also made this with Lindt Dark Choc. CHILI PEPPER infused. Oh my!

11. Alice says

PS: I have tried several brands of Coconut Milk, but have the best success with BADIA brand, usually found in the ethnic food section of the supermarket.

12. David says

I think the big secret to getting this to work is ensure your coconut milk is refridgerated for a full 24 hours prior to making. Mine worked out perfectly. I always keep a couple cans in the fridge.

13. cat says

This turned out runny. Never set. Was scrambling Christmas eve morn to make for my niece who can’t tolerate lactose in my homemade chocolate ice cream. I whipped it for years, finally added egg whites, finally I froze it, but it never set. I used Trader Joe’s coconut milk. Maybe try coconut cream sometime.

Cat, we’ve heard that happens sometimes! I think the step of sitting in the freezer overnight and then removing all traces of liquid are both pretty critical, and perhaps the brand of coconut milk. I hate it that it didn’t work for you though! :(

14. Jessica says

So this didn’t whip up like I thought it would. I tasted it anyway, and wonder what would happen if I through it in my ice cream maker. The base tastes good and is creamy. I used powderd coconut sugar since I have high blood sugar issues. This would be a great ice cream if I could figure it out!

Hey Kimberly, we got them at Target last year (they were in the ‘nordstrom for target’ line). You might be able to find a set on ebay. :)

15. Dianna says

Mine didn’t turn out. I used 365 organic coconut milk and it still didn’t work. It’s too runny so I think I will just turn this into Popsicles or something else. Maybe next time

Hey Dianna- my sister just told me a tip about how to make sure it doesn’t get runny, but I don’t remember it right now (haha). I will ask her though!

Hey Annabelle- it depends on what size of glass you’re using. If you use small shot glasses, it makes 16+. If you use the taller ones (or different containers that are bigger than shot glasses), it’ll make less servings. Hope that helps!

16. sameow says

Hi
    Came across this amazing recipe and seriously can’t wait to try this out asap.By reading all the comments I’m a little confused that should I go for coconut milk or coconut cream as both is available and if I use milk should I just use the solidify milk and leave behind the runny milk ?.

I haven’t tried coconut cream, but I bet it’d work! When using coconut milk, yes, leave behind the runny part! Hope that helps!