kate spade diaper bag mini-tutorial

how to make a kate spade inspired diaper bag (with tons of pockets and extras, just like any good baby bag!)After Monday’s post (showing you the Kate Spade-esque diaper bag that I made for our sister-in-law), several of you asked for a tutorial.

Here’s the thing. For pretty much every single bag I make, I follow the same approximate steps. They’re here.

However, I did modify that tutorial a little to make this diaper bag similar to the ones my sister-in-law loves (think- adding pleats, a curved top and purse-ish handles).

To modify the Teacher Tote tutorial to make a Kate Spade diaper bag knock off-

Start with 17″x15″ fabric rectangles (two for the exterior and two for the liners). Add curved points near the middle (leave a little width at the top of each curve for the pleats). I measured one of my handbags for handle placement width and spaced mine with about six inches in between.

Follow the Teacher Tote tutorial to put together the exterior and the liner. Add pockets liberally (this is a diaper bag, afterall). I even added one pocket that spans the entire width of the diaper bag for iPad storage (those snaps in the picture above hold that pocket together).

To add purse handles, sew pleather/vinyl/leather tubes. Turn them inside out, fill with rope (for added sturdiness), and pin at the top of each curve, tucked down into the bag. I also pinned pleats in place on each curve (and then later, sewed the top of the pleat down with invisible thread to preserve the pleated shape).

I still added the option of an over-the-shoulder strap as well. Since I want Trish to have the option of leaving the shoulder strap on or taking it off, I added swivel clips to each side. The strap (made of pleather) has D-rings on each end for easy clipping.

The end result of this modified Teacher Tote? A pocket-laden, purse-ish Kate Spade knock off that’s also works as a diaper bag.

Comments

i am completely in love with this. i really really really wanna make one. and i need one too…i got rid of allllll my baby stuff after sophie, so i’m in big trouble. gotta make one of these guys!

Alicia- YES you should make one! It wasn’t a long project- a two naptimes and one after-the-kids-are-in-bed sew. I got rid of all of my baby stuff too, even though we plan on adopting in a few years. I was just ready to stop storing/moving things that we have no use for for now. But that’ll be funny to re-make (or buy- haha!) everything sometime down the road.
      So excited for this little one to join your sweet family. :)

Wow Alida, thanks! Fingers crossed that it is just what she was hoping (without the homemade-but-you-shouldn’t-have vibe- haha). :)

Thanks Justine! And I think it’d be fine minus baby. :) I browsed around your farmhouse tutorials tonight- you have such a great little spot. :)

Haha- Ashleigh, you make me laugh. And you could totally make one. Bags are easy, though kind of time intensive the first few times. :)

2. Kara says

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! Great job! :-) But can I ask: how did you make the bottle pockets on the side? I’d love to try to make one myself! My little bambino is due in March! :)

3. Megan says

I love this bag, I don’t have a baby (my youngest of 4 is 8 and he is the last one for us!) BUT I have been looking for a bag big enough to hold my folder, drink bottle and lunch, keys, wallets etc when I head back to uni this year to do my grad papers and I think this bag may just be what I have been looking for! Thank you :)

4. andrea frandsen says

hello, I don’t know you but OH heavens. You need to sell these! I would buy one in an INSTANT! I have made totes before and quilt a little here and there, but I’m terrified to do all those pockets and pleating and making straps. OH my – I was just sitting at my computer gazing longingly at the real kate spade striped stevie bag and thought I’d search for a knock off and found this. :) I’m so deeply in love. You amaze me!!!! wow. I kind of want to be brave enough to try making this. eek! although I do some sewing.. i’m really NOT that great so I’m Scared to try this!!! I think it might end in tears. haha.. but let’s be honest.. almost everything ends in tears for me lately with all these pregnancy hormones. :)

Andrea, this comment made me laugh.
      And if you have made totes and quilts before, you can TOTALLY do this. Seriously. Give yourself a lot of time (the first time I made a diaper bag, it took me 30 hours… I am not exaggerating, I just wanted to get every single thing right) and take it in chunks and it’ll be no problem. :)
      Send me a picture if you make one, ok? I’d love to see it (and celebrate with you!). :)

• andrea frandsen says

Oh my gosh, I’m scared to death by how much you’re inspiring me to try to make it! ahhh!! I’m 4 months along and I’m just about to finish quilt #2 for my little girl so maybe I’ll spend the next 5 months making this bag! haha. :) It’s taken 2 weeks to make 2 quilts, and will prob take 5 months to make one bag. sounds about right….. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and if I finish the bag and it doesn’t turn out completely embarrassing I will FOR SURE send a pic. Thanks again! I’m so scared and excited about this!

Haha, seriously, if you can quilt, you can make this bag. :) Especially with five months on your hands. :)
          Can’t wait to see the finished product!

5. Monica says

I love this so much! You are so talented! I don’t have much sewing experience but I might give it a try! Where did you get the fabric? So pretty!

1. [...] Kirstin from Kojo Designs shows how she made this fashionable diaper bag for her sister.  The design was inspired by a striped diaper bag by Kate Spade.  There’s nothing that screams “diaper bag”, so you could also just carry it around as an every day, non diapering, tote.  It has a long strap for carrying on your shoulder, plus a pair of shorter straps so you can grab it up in your hands.     Go to her tutorial. [...]

2. [...] Kirstin from Kojo Designs shows how she made this fashionable diaper bag for her sister.  The design was inspired by a striped diaper bag by Kate Spade.  There’s nothing that screams “diaper bag”, so you could also just carry it around as an every day, non diapering, tote.  It has a long strap for carrying on your shoulder, plus a pair of shorter straps so you can grab it up in your hands.     Go to her tutorial. [...]