kate spade diaper bag knock off

Pinterest is great for lots of things- not least of all, for sneaky present buying/making. It’s like one big, ready-made wish list.

With my sweet sister-in-law’s baby shower rapidly approaching, I noticed that the diaper bags she’s pinned are all pretty similar- neutral in color, striped (at least most of them), and purse-like.

After a quick trip to Ikea (for black and white striped fabric) and a few afternoons spent sewing, this Kate Spade diaper bag knock off was born.

I have to tell you, I am glad that there aren’t any new babies in my near future; I’d definitely be tempted to keep this baby bag (be still my stripe-loving, preppy, girly heart.)

Even better, I asked all of Tricia’s baby shower guests to bring a diaper bag (or purse) staple to the shower. Every diaper bag is better when brimming with fabulous essentials like a changing station, baby toys, and lip gloss, don’t you think?

Comments

1. Dayna says

you. are. amazing. seriously. i’d ask for a tutorial, but honestly, there is no way i would even attempt that!

i love the idea of filling it too! i love gift “theme” for showers and have been wanting to do a diaper bag filled with goodies for a while.

Haha- Dayna, you could totally make one (bags are mostly straight lines- kind of time consuming but not difficult). I love that shower idea too!

2. Sarah says

What a great gift! With Christmas approaching I like idea of making a bag or two as gifts. Where do you buy your fasterners and fabric? Does Ikea sell fabric? I’ve struggled to find quality heavy duty fabric for bags and purses.

Hey Sarah! Ikea does have home decor weight fabric (I sprayed this one with Scotch Guard pretty good in order to add some waterproofing/protection). I also have used fabric from online (the last diaper bag I made, I used fabric.com for some wool). When I made a diaper bag for my sister, I used a shower curtain for the fabric.
      And I found the fasteners at JoAnn’s. :)
      Hope that helps (love the idea of making bags as Christmas presents).

Thanks Jill- people brought SUCH fun stuff (most of the guests aren’t mama’s yet, so they brought their favorite purse essentials- so fabulous!).

Thanks friend! As I was sewing, I was thinking about how you think bags are our signature item. :) Tricia loved this one which is the test of a good gift, right? :)