sprinkled with love birthday party

We laughed when Piper Jane asked for a “Sprinkle” themed birthday party. Her sweet tooth is renowned in these parts (second only to her mama’s), so a sprinkle party is perfectly suited for the Little Miss Priss’ second birthday celebration.

Decked out in some sprinkle accessories- a sprinkle barrette and sprinkle corsage- the birthday girl fit right in with the sprinkle decor. And the little Cupcake Dress from J Crew that I got on sale last month was an aptly named party dress (didn’t get around to making a party dress like I’d hoped).

FOOD & DRINK

This dessert-only (well, really, dessert-mostly) menu included- sprinkle dipped strawberry wafers, dark chocolate and white chocolate sprinkle dipped pretzels, sprinkled donut holes, vanilla cupcakes with sprinkled toppers (made the same way I made the sprinkled cake topper for Piper’s pink cake), sprinkle animal cookies, and sprinkle dipped marshmallows.

The party drink of champions (at least 2-year-old birthday, all-dessert parties), milk, was served in sprinkle rimmed cups (thanks for the idea, pinterest). Colorful striped and dotted straws completed the look.

NATURE’S SPRINKLES

In order to have offer something other than just sugar-y treats, we had a veggie buffet called, “Nature’s Sprinkles.” I’ll be honest- the sweets were more popular than the veggies.

ACTIVITIES

“Sprinkle the plants with water”- Who would’ve thought that eight spray bottles from the dollar bin at Target were the answer to all of my party-game needs? The party guests were absolutely enthralled… they sprayed the garden, the grass, the pavers, even each other. Eight dollars very well spent.
“Sprinkle the paper with drawings”- Crayons plus paper equals one fabulous coloring station. The little guests ‘sprinkled’ the paper with all sorts of lines and dots and letters. Fab.u.lous.

DECOR

This backyard soiree was an outside-only affair. All of the treats, the veggies, and the favors were housed in a fabric draped tent (the coloring table and the spray bottle station were located elsewhere in the yard).

The white tent was made party-ish with a fabric chandelier (an embroidery hoop with fabric panels extending to the edges of the tent), a cluster of white tissue paper poms, and a cheerful yarn pom pom garland (which might get a new home over Piper Jane’s big girl bed someday).

Inside, an apothecary cabinet made a great treat backdrop (the patterned backing inside the cabinet is wrapping paper).

Clear balloons, filled with confetti and sprinkles (the how-to is here) added to the Happy Birthday vibe (and, as an added bonus, the sprinkle filled balloons doubled as shakeable toys- those balloons must just scream, “Shake Me!” to little passersby).

FAVORS

The “Sprinkle Yourself with Accessories” buffet was a fun addition to this sprinkle-happy party.

Guests chose from colorful bowties (made using my favorite bow tie tutorial at delia creates) and barrettes adorned with sprinkle buttons (how to make sprinkle covered accessories here).

My cabochon earring collection was even put to good use pinning the favor barrettes in place (don’t worry, I had a little bowl out to collect them once people took their favors and didn’t lose a single earring).

Each family also took home a jar of sprinkles- the labels read “Sprinkle with Love” and each family’s name.

There was also a platter of shortbread sprinkle cookies in cute little round cookie packages- I tried to make sure every kiddo headed out the door with an ever-so-popular spray bottle in one hand and a cookie (or two) in the other. I’m sure their parents loved me on the ride home.

sprinkle covered cake topperFYI- here are the tutorials for Piper’s sprinkle-covered cake topper and confetti filled balloons.

Wouldn’t the Sprinkled with Love theme be cute as a baby ‘sprinkle’ as well?

Comments

1. Dayna says

love it! i think it’s hysterical that the kids had so much fun with the $1 spray bottles.
    p.s. as always, i LOVE the signs. ;-)

Dayna, you are so funny. I started the printables post… it’s a little overwhelming, trying to get that info on paper (you know how when something is second nature to you, sometimes it’s hard to explain). Anyway, maybe in the next couple weeks???? Hopefully! :)
      And so funny about the spray bottles, right?

2. Jill says

I LOVE this!!!! All the details are adorable, and it’s great how you were able to keep it so fun for the kids. How fun for Piper Jane to get the party she hoped for :)

Thanks Jill! They had a blast. Target dollar bin was the shining hero for this one. :)
      And LOVE Reese’s room! It’s so pretty… can’t wait to *meet* her!

3. Jess says

I am in LOVE with this party! All the tiny sprinkles and polka dots on the signage is perfect! You’d better use that pom pom garland again, I bet it took forever to make! The food looks scrumptious, and love the favors. Another fabulous kojo bash!

Thanks friend! You are the party queen- those are huge compliments coming from you! :)
      And absolutely the pom pom garland will be put to good use again… above Piper Jane’s bed I think?

4. Kimberly Mueller says

Ok. How did you make the sprinkle accessories and the sprinkle frame?? I think I need a tutorial! Are they REAL sprinkles?? With glue?? Tell tell! :)
    Love this party. I kind of want to copy every little detail.

Haha- Kimberly, you are too cute (and your comment made me laugh). I will put together a tutorial for the barrettes/frame (yep, they’re real sprinkles). :)

5. kristin says

this is one of my favorite birthday party ideas EVER!!! so so so cute. wonder if my little gal would go for this for her 5th birthday (next may, haha)? happy birthday, piper jane!

Kristin- if my mom would’ve let me have a sprinkle party, I would’ve agreed all the way through high school (ok, I would be fine with a sprinkle party now- haha!). :) Thanks for the compliments and birthday wishes. :)

Christine, I had to go back and see which picture you meant. But, yep, that’s from me (haha!). She probably walks around like that all the time! :) I will pass along your theme love to the birthday girl. :)

6. Nikki @ Tikkido says

Gorgeous! My three year old asked for a Sprinkles birthday party this past May, too. What brilliant little kiddos–it’s the most perfect party theme I can imagine, and you did it fabulously! I just love the water sprayers and those confetti-filled balloons. Genius.

Nikki, our girls would be friends, guaranteed. :) Tried to find your sprinkle party on your blog but didn’t see it… send over a link if it’s up. :)

Hey Sarah- sounds like our little ones are kindred spirits. :)
      The confetti is tissue paper (I bought a big bag of it at Party City). I would grab a mini handful of confetti, put it into a mini funnel that dumped into the balloon (push the confetti down through the funnel with something sharp if you have to).
      Hope that helps! And send over pictures of your party if you end up having one as well- I’d love to see pictures!

7. Amy says

Beautiful and cute–love it all. Was just curious about the milk cups: did you use glue for those sprinkled rims? I know my younger daughter would toss the straw and try to drink from the cup. I wonder if frosting would work as adhesive if you didn’t want to use glue?

Amy- I laughed a little thinking about what a disaster glue would be on cups. Nope, that’s frosting. :) The kids WERE licking the cups, using their fingers to scoop off the sprinkles/frosting, etc. I might put that in the post just to clarify. :)

• Amy says

As soon as I posted that, I felt pretty stupid. Of course you would never put glue on the cups! Thank you for clarifying.

Amy- don’t feel stupid at all (if I don’t put the info in there, it’s definitely not clear)!!! The frosting worked great, though, way better than glue! :)

Hey Sara- THANK YOU!
      Loved seeing your name pop up… just realized that the party signage backgrounds look sort of like your blog design! Love both!
      Also, your Pow Wow was so great (I grew up in NM too!). Love the mod/graphic twist!

• Amy says

What a fun party! I am curious about the balloons. My local party company said we couldn’t use confetti in the balloons if we wanted the gel added to the balloons for longer life. Did you do gel free balloons?

8. Lexy | The Proper Pinwheel says

Kirsten! This is just adorable! I need to have a little girl stat. And she needs to have a party as cute as this one! I’ve been silently stalking you for a long time but I just had to tell you that this is one of my favorite things you’ve ever done!

I’m in Denver, too, so we should get together and have a crafternoon! (I come on strong, don’t I?) ;)

Lexy

Lexy- I love it that you commented! YES to hanging out sometime (I would love that!). And thanks for the kind words about the party. :) I LOVE it that you’re in Denver!

9. Angie says

This party is absolutely darling!!! I have a little girl turning 1 this Feb and she&I both LOVE sprinkles : )! So glad I found this party you created. It’s more than perfect. I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE to copy EVERY little detail. Sooooo— anytime you’d like to make the tutorial on the clips and bows, I’d love to see it! &– the sprinkle printed paper that you used as well. Because I will be using this theme. Your an angel! Thanks for allowing me to find you. I am going to start practicing your work now so that in 5 months I’ve mastered the 1st birthday party bash! :)))) Thanks a million again!!!!!

10. Dawn Herring says

Kirstin,
    I must say this birthday theme is absolutely adorable! The sprinkles are so colorful, and I just adore the activities that kept the little ones busy. It’s amazing what they can have fun with. Simple is sometimes such a sweet surprise, isn’t it?

I have linked your post, Sprinkled with Love Birthday Party, on my Birthday Wall blog where I post birthday party themes and inspiring birthday stories in connection with my e-book, The Birthday Wall: Create a Collage to Celebrate Your Child, a how to on creating a colorful collage to celebrate your child’s birthday, a family tradition I have kept for nine years for my two daughters.

Thanks for sharing all these great photos and fun with sprinkles!
    Here’s a link to the post: http://thebirthdaywall.blogspot.com/2012/09/for-your-sweet-tooth-sprinkled-special.html

Be refreshed,
    Dawn Herring
    Author of The Birthday Wall: Create a Collage to Celebrate Your Child
    Host of #JournalChat Live and Links Edition on Twitter

11. Lyndi DeVries says

Do you make any of this to sell? I totally want to do this for my daughters 3rd birthday only I don’t have the time to make it all….anyway you make it to sell?

12. Miranda says

Okay, now I’m craving a sprinkle donut! Such a darling little girl’s party. Of course the kids loved the spray bottles, that’s genius! It looks like a special party with such thoughtful gestures for the guests. Very very cute.

xo

Thanks Monique! I’ll be honest- there were (several) moments in between where I wasn’t so sure going with her idea was my best move. :) But it turned out fine- and she LOVED it (which, of course, is the mark of a good party). :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

13. Tori Wild says

Cutest theme ever!! I’d love to know where you found the variegated yarn for the poms and what brand… Those just make it pop!!

Hey Tori- by variegated, do you mean the wavy texture or the color combos? Let me know and I’ll try to track down the labels for you…

14. Tori Wild says

It was the Pom poms that look like they have multiple colors… Red/white (maybe blue in it), yellow/white… Aqua/white… I just wondered what brand of yarn it was, I can’t find those colors in my stores, but I love them!!!

15. Kayell says

Hi I love this theme as well, I’m drawn to the balloons for my husbands little birthday we are having with our two little girls. Where or how do you get those balloons?

16. Jennifer Mingucci says

Just wondering how you got the confetti to cling to the sides of the balloons. Just tried it and the confetti is just resting at the botom – SO SAD! :(

Jennifer- did they move up after a little while? Ours started out clumped at the bottom and then, after an hour or so, the confetti moved up the sides of the balloons. I don’t know how it happened, but I was glad it did.
      One thing I noticed- the balloons with more confetti had less ‘up the sides’ movement. Funny, right?

17. Amber says

I found you on pinterest and it was pinned wit@ the picture of the balloons. I love them and thank you for sharing your technique. I love looking at party blogs and I must say this sprinkles party is one of the bests yet!
    Okay just one question, if that is okay, where did you get the red and white twine?

Hey Amber- thanks for your comment and your compliments!
      I got the baker’s twine on sale at Pick Your Plum… there are great baker’s twine sources on etsy as well.

I think you can buy them on Amazon in bulk. I ended up buying about 20 smaller jars (it might’ve been more than that if you count the sprinkle favors). :) I bought some of them at Joann’s with a 40% or 50% off coupon to lower the cost and found some of them on sale at Target. If you find a good spot for buying them in bulk, will you let me know?

18. Lelê says

Oh, man… I’m a full grown woman and I want this so bad now! lol I mean: 1) You have sprinkles (that right there is the perfect argument!) and 2) Your attention to detail makes it all so whimsical!

Absolutely perfect! Incredible job! :)

PS:The sprinkles inside the balloons are made with what kind of paper?

Haha- love this comment. Thanks for all of the kind words!
      Also, the confetti in the balloons is made from some super thin paper- kind of like tissue paper? I found the confetti at Party City. Hope that helps!

19. Emily Wood says

I absolutely LOVE this birthday party idea!! I saw on Etsy that you could purchase the file to print items needed for the party, but today it was removed!! Are you planning to repost for purchase soon? Please let me know!

Emily

20. Amanda P. says

Beautiful. I am going to have this at my 4 year olds bday party this summer. But where did you find the tableclothes at? And also, how did you make the pompoms with the yarn. Thank you! :)

21. Lovella Bridal says

How totally fun! We love the idea of adapting this to a grown-ups party… for instance, a bridal shower… with sprinkles in the wedding colors! Great inspiration here. Thank you for sharing. :)

22. charity says

wow..im so in love with your fab ideas and i will be borrowing so many of them for my one yr and 5 year old..it just amazes me how creative people are and you have the cutest little girl …. love following you .. just discovered pinterest …a bit slow on the techy front …

23. Francesca says

Your party came out beautifully. How lovely to make our little ones feel so special on their birthdays. I’m going to attempt to make a fabric chandelier. Do you remember what size hoop you used and how much fabric? Also, did you hand sew them onto the hoop?

Hey Francesca, thanks for the kind words!
      I used the biggest embroidery hoop they had at the store (at least 2 ft wide, I disassembled, or I’d measure for you). And I actually just pinned the fabric in place on the embroidery hoop instead of sewing, but I am certain that’d work too.
      Hope that helps!

24. Allison says

I love love love your party theme. I’m thinking of using it for my little ones joint party. My daughter turns 4 and son turns 1. What fonts did you use? The color scheme is spot on, it’s not quite red more like raspberry, right?

Hey Allison- thanks for the compliments! I love the idea of using this for a joint birthday party. :)
      And yep, it’s definitely pink, not red (almost coral, really). And then orange, yellow, mint-y green and gray. Send over pictures if you throw one of these parties- we’d love to see them!

25. Erica Anyzeski says

Love this party, I could stare at the balloons for hours! In fact, I have. Where did you get your clear balloons from?

26. Becca says

I am obsessed with this sprinkle party! SO cute! Where did you get your paper products (bowls, plates)??

Thanks Becca!
      The melamine bowls/plates/platters are from Target, the plastic milk cups were from dollar tree! :)

27. Brett says

I love everything about this party! I’m wondering where you got the pom-poms for the garland (if it was homemade or purchased from a store).

Thanks!!

Thanks for the kind words- I made the pom poms with a Clover pom pom maker. It is quite the project, but not nearly as bad with a movie or two on and a bunch of yarn. :)

28. Cynthia Arcanjo says

Nossa!!! Que festa mais linda! Amei! Você me deu ótimas ideias para fazer para a minha filha. Obrigada!! Beijo! ;)

Thanks Alison! The straws were from Target, but I haven’t seen them there lately (I often order straws from Bake It Pretty or Amazon as well, so you might check those places). Also, to sprinkle the glass rims, I dipped them in vanilla frosting then dipped them in sprinkles before the frosting set up. Hope that helps!

29. Debra says

Hi-
    I just bought your printables and am excited to have this party for my daughter! Can I ask how you made the cookie packages? Did you use a punch for the scalloped circles? What size? And how did you stick them together? Thanks! Such a beautiful party! I hope mine comes out half as nice!

Deb, just saw this! Assuming you are all finished up, but wanted to answer in case someone else is looking as well- the scalloped circles were pre made cookie bags (Martha Stewart brand I believe). Hope that helps!

30. jennifer says

I love this!!! my daugher is having a sprinkle 3rd bday party next weekend and I was searching for inspiration and found your party!! it’s amazing!! do you by chance have printables for the accessories labels or really any of it!? thanks for the help!
    jen

31. Francesca says

I absolutely loved all the ideas here. I originally had planned to do a confetti party for my daughter and am now doing sprinkles! I just wanted to see how/what you used for the signage…the fonts, etc..? What program you used.

Thanks!

1. [...] kojo tutorial- how to make sprinkle covered accessories Posted on September 6, 2012 by Kirstin I might’ve mentioned once or twice that Miss Piper Jane has quite the sweet tooth (maybe it’s a good thing that her dad’s a dentist?). I have to admit, I share her sweet tooth tendencies and even her affection for sprinkles. Of course, my Sprinkle Princess required some sprinkled accessories for her Sprinkle Party. [...]

2. [...] the sweetest thing chocolate themed baby shower Posted on November 14, 2012 by Kirstin My sister-in-law, Tricia, and I share a fond affection for macaroons. And ice cream. And oreos. And a whole list of other fabulous sweet treats. So this “Sweetest Thing” chocolate themed baby shower was right up her alley (and I don’t know if I’ve ever had so much fun putting together a shower menu, except maybe for Piper Jane’s sprinkle party). [...]

3. [...] Why settle for a bunch of helium balloons from your grocery store’s floral department when you can have these? We super dig the groovy black and white striped ones pinned by HGTV’s Emily Henderson. You can order them at the Oriental Trading Company.  Another route for a cool balloon bouquet is the DIY idea of filling clear balloons with tiny confetti. It couldn’t be easier to do – click here for instructions. While you’re there, check out this brilliant blogger’s ideas and photos for inspiration. She created an entire party around candy sprinkles! [...]

4. […] Kojo designs decorando una papelería de fiesta o sus chocolatinas a juego, Cath my party  como elemento decorativo hecho a base de pasta de azúcar como esta tarta. Pinterest e incluso, en unas galletas así de resultonas.  Sweet sugar belle Sea como fuere, los lunares son todo un clásico que será difícil que pase de moda. ¡Feliz jueves! […]