ballerina girl- a dress for me

The Little Miss Priss has a dance in heart. Every time she hears music (or even any kind of beat), the girl starts groovin’. She takes after her mama- I love to dance. And I like to think that what I lack in ability, I make up for in enthusiasm.

Perhaps that’s why this ballerina-esque dress caught my eye?

In any case, I love it. I loved the Dulcie dress at Anthropologie, but I think I love this version even more (that’s the great thing about making your own clothes, right? You get to make them just the way you want). It’s a little darker than the one at Anthro (even the ‘black motif” Dulcie dress had a decent amount of lighter detailing on it), the dress is more empire than drop-waist, and it may have a bit more fluff in the skirt (ballerina girl indeed).

I wore it to Grace and Todd’s fancy schmancy wedding, but it’d make a perfect party dress. Or dental school prom dress (darn it that 2011 was my last one of those). Or rehearsal dinner dress. Or hot-date-for-your-anniversary/other-special-occasion dress.

Really, you could just wear it around and pretend you’re a ballerina. Not that I did that yesterday anyone would do that.

ps- I know that there has been a proliferation of Anthro knock-offs around here lately. I promise our next project isn’t another one.

Comments

Kirstin-I love it! I think that I would dance around the house as well. Only when no one is looking though! I wouldn’t want anyone to get scared! :)
    Briana @ babblingsandmore.blogspot.com

Thanks Briana! Funny story- one time when Adam and I were dancing in the kitchen, Burke told us, “Guys, you’re embarrassing me!” He’s only three. Hahahaha!

2. Dayna says

so gorgeous! you are one talented girl.

p.s. i may, or may not, have tried on my wedding dress after the royal wedding last year and wore it around the house for a good hour. i can’t remember…

hahahahaha! it makes me feel ridiculous to model the stuff I make, but pin away my friend! :)
      also, thanks for the compliments! :)

This is a beautiful dress. I can’t wait to see the tutorial. My goal for the year is similar to yours – be willing to branch out and try new things…which includes sewing real clothes for me.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jen, I love that! Also, you’ll be excited to hear that one of the series we are planning for this Spring is a “Sewing for Me” series. Should give you (and me!) plenty of choices to help you meet your goal. :)
      Oh, and thanks for the compliments. :)

I am so excited for the tutorial! I have a wedding to go to this weekend and I wanted to make myself something to wear. It didn’t happen because I couldn’t find that something special to make. This dress would have been it! Good thing I have another wedding to go to in June!

Michaela, it is the perfect wear-to-a-wedding dress! And you could match the lighter color scheme for June (or stick with black if the wedding is more formal). It’s a little involved, but I hope to have the tutorial up tomorrow. :)

Thanks Jill- I have to admit, I’m really nervous this week. I love the other girls’ projects (and only 3 can move on). Fingers crossed.
      And thanks for the encouragement! :)

Thanks for the vote and the compliments. I’m still definitely learning my way around WP (quite the learning curve, whoa!), but I love the new digs. Glad you do too. :)
      Oooh, and I went and checked out the blog you recommended this morning- LOVELINESS. I didn’t see her email on there (but I probably didn’t look around enough). Will you email it to me? I’d love to say hi. You always have the best recommendations (I found lowercase letters through you too- love carissa!). :)
      I’m glad you’re my friend! :)

5. heidi says

wow!!! ahh-mazing!! it is just gorgeous! so impressive that you not only had a vision, but created it (and better than the original)! voted for YOU! good luck!

Aww, thanks heid! SO fun to see you today- Burke was talking about “Miss Heidi” and the triceratops getting fixed in Japan all night- hahaha! :) Can’t wait to see what kind of goodness you cook up with the felt circles. :)