To make one of your own, you’ll need:
-the bottom half of a t-shirt
-chunky wooden beads (we used about fifteen)
-needle and thread
1. Cut thin strips of jersey ‘tubes’ using the bottom half of a thriftstore-bound t-shirt. Repeat until you have about twelve jersey ‘tubes.’
2. Trim each tube at one side seam to make long, thin strips of jersey.
3. Thread one chunky bead onto each of your jersey strips. Leave four jersey strips aside.
4. Braid three of the leftover strips of jersey together.
5. Using a scrap piece of jersey, find all of the middle seams (one seam was trimmed off- the other remains intact). Tie the seams together. Include the ‘top’ of the braided piece in the bunch so it gets tied in as well.
6. On the other side of the necklace, gather all of the loose ends as well as the other end of the braid. Sew together. Run the needle and thread back and forth a few times to secure. Tie off thread.
7. Cut your final strip of jersey in half (cut the seam off so each piece looks clean). Use one half to wrap the messy part where the braid meets the jersey strips until it looks clean. Repeat on the other side. Tuck the loose ends back into the wrapping (use a toothpick to make sure the end is secure and fully covered).
8. Adjust the placement of your beads until there are some on each side and some across the bottom of the necklace.
9. DONE! Pair with a t-shirt and white capri’s (or with a sundress!) and you have the perfect summer accessory for backyard parties, summer weddings, patio dinners, beach vacations as well as everyday cuteness.
ps- I couldn’t help but include this awesome outtake. I was dancing around and Adam caught it on camera. Fabulous, right? Hahahaha!
ppss- This modeling-your-stuff is for the birds. Everything just feels so awkward. I think this is why I mostly make stuff for my kids. How do you guys always look so darn cute in all of your pictures? If you have tips for me, send ‘em along!!!