kojotutorial: pom pom trimmed baby skirt

Is there anything more precious than a newborn baby? Perhaps a newborn baby in a pom pom trimmed skirt?

To make a pom pom baby skirt, you’ll need:
-a 6″x30″ rectangle of fabric
-30″ of coordinating pom pom trim
-a 10″ length of elastic
-sewing machine and supplies

1. Pin your pom pom trim to the bottom of your fabric rectangle.  Stitch in place.  Fold under and press.  Top stitch along the bottom of your ‘skirt’ (I used a contrasting color for a little visual interest).

2. Fold your rectangle in half, making a fabric ‘tube.’  If you want to use a fabric label, sandwich it between your edges, facing into the skirt.  Sew the two open edges together.  Fold the top over and iron down (this will soon be your elastic casing).  You can serge the edge if you please.

3.  Leave a small opening to thread your elastic through and sew the rest of the casing shut.  Feed elastic through your opening.  Stitch the elastic together and  then sew your opening shut.  Pair with a sweet teeny onesie and your peanut is cute as can be and ready to go out on the town!

ps- This tutorial was first seen on At Second Street.

Comments

1. sad.reggie says

That is super cute! My sister just had a baby girl and I'm due in April so I'm definitely making one. That fabric is great, too! Where did you get it?

2. sad.reggie says

That is super cute! My sister just had a baby girl in December and I'm due in April, so I'm definitely making one :) That apple fabric is great too. Where did you get it?

3. Kyndra says

I don’t know if you respond to comments, but if you do can you tell me where you got that fabric? My daughter’s special blanky is made from it. It was a gift from someone when she was first born, and 2 years later she is SO attached to it, and I no longer have the contact information for the woman who made it. I want to make a spare, in case something happens to it, but I haven’t been able to find the fabric.

Hey Kyndra!
      Hmmmm…. well, I got the fabric as a gift from my sister (and I think she got it at a estate sale or something). However, I think I might have some extra. I will check for you. If I have some, I’ll totally send it your way! :)

• Kyndra says

So, I forgot to bookmark this page, and I couldn’t even remember what kind of skirt this was to search for it, so it’s taken me forever to find it again! But if you do have some extra, I would LOVE it, if it isn’t too much trouble! Just email me (can you see my email address?) and let me know!

4. Renita says

Hi I love this little skirt, can you tell me is 10″ enough for the elastic for a newborn, I’ve been reading that an average newborn waist is 18, I’m so confused.

Hey Renita, honestly, I don’t remember (and don’t have a newborn around to measure). I did measure my 3 year old daughter’s waist and it is 20″… so perhaps the 10″ is correct? I have really small babies, so maybe that makes for the discrepancy??? Sorry this isn’t more helpful!

1. […] TOP: Mooshy Belly Bunny by Chez Beeper Baby, Pea Pod baby carrier by Piccoli Piselli, Pom Pom Skirt by Kojo Designs  BOTTOM: baby cloth diapers 101 by very baby, Peekaboo bonnet pattern by Made by […]