As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I decided to take my no-cute-newborn-skirts problem into my own hands. Since skirts are relatively simple to make, and since newborn babies are so little, I figured that putting together a skirt or two for Piper Jane couldn’t be that difficult. And I was right.
To make a darling little ruffled skirt for a newborn baby girl in your life, you’ll need:
-two sleeves from a short sleeved men’s t-shirt
-four long, thin strips of jersey, the same color as your sleeves (I just started at the bottom of my now-sleeveless men’s tshirt and cut up until I had four strips of fabric)
-sewing machine and thread
1. Use your sleeves to cut two even tubes of fabric (since sleeves aren’t made as even tubes, you’ll need to cut each piece until it is the same length on both sides with the bottom seam running down the middle of the front of the ‘skirt’…). Make sure one of your pieces includes the sleeve hem as this will become your drawstring casing.
2. Pin your larger piece (cut from the portion of one of your sleeves that is closer to the body of the t-shirt) to the bottom of your smaller piece (the piece that includes the sleeve hem), right sides facing each other. Sew the two pieces together, making sure that the seams of your sleeves line up (this will be the front middle portion of your skirt).
3. Using a basting stitch (the longest stitch on your sewing machine), sew down the middle of three of your long, thin strips of fabric. Pull of the end of the thread and scrunch up the fabric to make ruffles.
4. Sew these three ruffles onto the bottom of your skirt.
5. Use your last strip of fabric to make a drawstring. Cut two little slits on either side of the midline of the sleeve’s seam and pull your drawstring through the former-hem-now-drawstring-casing.
6. Pair your darling little skirt with a supercute newborn onesie and you have a get-up that’s perfect whether you’re staying in and lounging or going out on the town!
If you have some time, make another version (in brown) and try to figure out where you can find a pink Goodwill bound men’s t-shirt to make a pink version as well. On that note, if you find a source of big, pink men’s t-shirts, let me know, ok?
ps- Thanks for all of the other newborn skirt tips! I can’t wait to check them out…