As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled on a kojo post from a few years ago, in the days before Pinterest, before many of the ‘bigger’ features that really grew our readership, before the blog became my actual job… And as I read it, I realized that I hardly ever do just checking in posts anymore (and that I miss those posts!).
It is hard to pinpoint why I stopped- I’m sure part of it is my realization that whatever I publish is on the internet forever, for whoever to read, which is a little unnerving. I mean, will I really want to have a written reminder of all of the things. to look back on someday? Part of me says, “Absolutely,” and the other part kind of likes the way my memory softens the edges of reality a little over time- haha!
I think the other contributing factor towards the loss of those random-daily-life posts is the shift from a smaller, more daily community of readers (primarily people who checked in regularly) to a much broader audience that have found just one of our posts and are popping over to check on it. Don’t get me wrong, I love that there are all sorts of people with varied interests checking in and stopping by, but miss the community feel that we had once upon a time.
That said, I’m endeavoring to return to writing those posts every once in awhile- updates and silly lists and snapshots of daily life. I miss connecting with y’all and hope to remedy that! So, a short (and jumbled) synopsis of life lately-
1. We move around the world in less than a month. We’re down to our last-playgroup-at-Katie’s this week, our last CBS (Community Bible Study) next week, three more Mondays with Josie (my niece), three more Sunday dinners with my parents/brother/sister-in-law/niece, etc. I am still feeling a steady mix of excitement and trepidation, but with a decent dose of sadness mixed in. We love our life here and are sad to leave the people that make it so great.
2. Reese’s Eggs are killing me. Well, more accurately, killing my efforts to lose the couple of pounds that I acquired in Mexico. I just. can’t. say. no. Both luckily and tragically, there are only four more left. Typing this makes me wonder if I should go eat one of them even though I already brushed my teeth. See? Killing me.
3. I threw two birthday parties last weekend- a completely over-the-top, last hurrah Lego birthday fiesta for Burke and a much-more-low-key thirtieth birthday party for my brother. Even with the low-key-ness of the second party, I am still exhausted and it’s four days later.
4. I realized a couple days ago that the only time available for packing the rest of our stuff and shlepping it to storage before we close on our house are the evening of Mother’s Day and the afternoon of Burke’s actual birthday (his party was a couple weeks early this year). This made me cry, and also made me think that we might need to do some schedule rearranging. See points #1 and #3.
5. There is a chopped kale side salad at Mad Greens that I die for and keep trying to replicate. I’m getting close.
6. Not only do I miss sharing random bits of daily life, I miss hearing about your daily lives even more! What did you do last weekend? What is coming up for you? What random thing made you cry (or laugh!) today? Is anyone else going through the roller coaster that is moving right now? Or are you working on a party right now? Is Easter candy thwarting anyone else’s best intentions? Anyone out there doing a Whole 30 (I keep considering it, but now it not the season.. I’d love to hear about it if you’re trying it though!)? Do share, friends!